Wednesday, March 19, 2008

six weeks out

This is the 6th week since Sully was born. This is when most women normally go for the "six week check-up", go back to work, get back into normal life and activity. Sometimes it doesn't feel like I had a baby just six weeks ago. I'm pushing myself to get to where I can wear my normal clothes. I never would have even fathomed normal clothes at this point after my other pregnancies. What am I doing? I don't really know. I don't really know exactly what I should be doing with myself.

I am not as tired as I would be if we had a healthy six week old around here. But I am emotionally tired. I feel very little strength to pursue the things that I once would have tended to with gusto. I am feeble in my relationships, very much unable to be a good friend, to give what rightly should be expected in friendships. I heard someone say that loss such as this is like losing an arm. That arm will never grow back. So, I have to figue out how to rebuild my life, to function and exist in this life without that arm. I hate the thought that I have been made so weak. I hate that I will disappoint people because I am no longer the Heidi I once was. (And who I am I kidding, the Heidi I "once was" isn't so great, but in my head I believed I could give "equally" into relationships). But this is who I am now; this is where God would have me be.

I am eager for the play ground work to begin. I want to see it completed, and then I have a feeling I may retreat again. The work on the play ground has drawn me out, given me focus, something to care for, something to love and tend, something to nurture towards growth. It is an incredible gift to me. In some way the playground has helped to slightly anesthetize the wound for a short time. I worry that when it is complete I will feel a bit lost, that then I will have to embrace all over again and more fully the emptiness of my arms.

2 comments:

smidgenswife said...

Hi Heidi.

I have a couple thoughts. First, I have heard that grief is as emotionally demanding as physical labor. That IS exhausting. Grief has also been very demanding of me as well...completely worn me out emotionally and spiritually. GIVE YOURSELF COMPLETE GRACE. I felt sometime after Carter died that God gave me the words "Rest and Pray"... and that helped me not feel like I always had to be "DOING" something... that I could just BE... REST IN GOD... rest in the people around me loving me.

And you are right... When you go through a loss like this it DOES change you. Although, I have talked to people much further down the road than my 7 months and they say that you do get your joy back again... that you do smile again... We will never be who we were before... And I trust God is sovereign in that and will use it for His glory. I believe God gives us more depth in our personhood... a deeper trust in Him.

And I think you will also find the people around you will not expect you to give "equally" into relationships... let them love you... they will give you grace... they will give you time... do the same for yourself. Christian community is the one of the most ABSOLUTE MOST BEAUTIFUL THINGS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD... and I thank God everyday for the people who have carried me through this...

And retreating is ABSOLUTELY OKAY... you retreat as often as you need to... I'm trying to look through my book stack to find where I read about how that's a part of the grieving process... I have a BUNCH of books... I think it is in the book How to Survive the Loss of a Child. I have two copies and I'd be happy to give one to you. I was going to list my books but I think that'd just be overwhelming... so I wont. (I remember that overwhelmed feeling as well.)

I SO identify with you and the things you write about. I remember feeling those ways like they were yesterday.

So I encourage you to just "rest and pray"... give yourself grace... let people love you...

And know that you are being prayed for by people you don't even know. :)

Blessings,
Jen

LifewithLove said...

Hi Heidi,
Slowly a whole other circle of believers have stumbled upon your tragically beautiful story of your life with Sully. I have walked closely with Jen through her loss of Carter and I ache for your loss too. Thankfully you seem to have much support around you, lean on them and Him as much as you can!

I just had to speak to the relational/friendship issue. No one in their right mind is expecting ONE THING from you in return relationally right now EXCEPT that you allow them to love you and support you during this time. And that will be for many, many months to come...I know as women we think we're wired to give to others in so many ways but right now, tend to your own heart and family and you will eventually be one of the most amazing friends just by virtue of what you've triumphed over.

Blessings to you during this season of grieving...

Dana