Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

This morning Ella asked me why today is called Good Friday. I'm glad no one was around to hear me fumble my way through trying to explain it to her. Like always, her question makes me think. How interesting that we do call this day, this day we remember the humiliation, abandonment, torture and crucifixion of Christ, a "good" day. And I think for a while on the paradox of how terrible things can also be beautiful, good things.

I think about Sully and his condition and losing him. I have lived through many people's worst fear, losing a child. And yes, there is a horror to it but also beauty. I think about what I believe, my theology. If there was ever anything I cling to it is this. That even in the brokenness and horror, God has promised me himself, promised to redeem the brokenness, to bring beauty to the ashes. And, he has done that, is doing that. He is being faithful.

I went into the attic to pull down a few things I tucked away for the children’s Easter baskets and ran across my art history text book from college. I pulled it down to flip through. As I skimmed over the introduction I saw highlighted a definition of beauty: “a harmony of all the parts, in whatsoever subject it appears, fitted together with such proportion and connection, that nothing could be added, diminished, or altered but for the worse.” I think about Sully.

So much of the pain for me lies in the loss of what I had hoped this third child would be. But, when I accept that Sully’s life was what it was supposed to be, there is a peace, a stillness. Instead of thinking of all he wasn’t, I think of all that he was and is. Yes, his outward physical beauty did please my visual senses but his beauty went far beyond that. Part of his beauty is everything that was wrong with him. Somehow there was a harmony to all of it. If anything were “added, altered or diminished” then Sully wouldn’t have been the boy that he was. If he had been a healthy child then we wouldn’t have even called him Sully. I had discarded the name originally when I read that it could mean hushed or quiet. What vigorous newborn should have that name? But then, back it came to me after learning our baby was a boy and a very different boy. Sully was his name. Sully is who he was meant to be: broken and tragic but overwhelmingly beautiful and, yes, good.

2 comments:

amy griffith said...

amy sedgwick griffith here:

i am listening to a delirious song right now that says, "God didn't screw up when He made you, He's the Father who loves to parade you."

Hearing the joy you took in your baby boy, I can't imagine how our Heavenly Father feels, He is proud of His creation of Sully and even parades Him around, showing off His boy.

nighteowl said...

Dearest Sully,

What a beautiful little man you are...skin so creamy, eyes that reveal a soul destined for greatness. I see hints of your mother's button nose, and the angelic likeness of your brother and sister.

I just wanted to write to you, sweet little boy, and thank you for agreeing to come here for the few short days you graced this planet. Do you know how you have touched Earth? You may have only physically touched a small amount of people in your six short days, but you have left an indelible mark on thousands of hearts around the world.

Tonight, and every night since we first saw your sweet face online and in the papers, mommies and daddies have crept into childrens' rooms and gazed upon sleeping faces, some of us leaning in to steal a kiss and thank God for the gift of children - no matter how long they are here. You did that, Sully...you did. With your handsome tiny face, your keen eyes, and your oh so dapper blue hat. Such a small guy, and yet you tiptoed through our lives, and in a fleeting moment, changes thousands of lives forever.

Thank you, Sully.

Thank you for blessing us with your life, and thank you for coming to a mom and dad that were willing to share you with the world, that we might come to know God a little more fully, and learn just a little more about appreciating His blessings.

Would you do me one more small favor, Sully? Take a moment, in the wee hours of the night, to visit your mommy and daddy and remind them that you are but a whisper away. The pain is great right now, but someday soon, their spirits will remember that the veil between us and Heaven is thin, and they will begin to feel you around them more and more.

Thank you again, Sully, I can't wait to meet you in Heaven and thank you face to face...

-Tanya