Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pretending

I have been bustling about the house this evening tidying up. Brad just gives me his knowing smile about my "busyness", and I continue on my way. It feels good to set the house aright, my little world aright. And then, with the children tucked in bed and every other room in order, I head to my bedroom to finish my work. I see Brad holding something in his hand, a small gray box. He hands it to me. Everything stops. I've known this was coming but it doesn't matter. I am brought back to reality, to the pain and the joy and the tragedy and the beauty of my boy Sully. My finger runs over the tiny (actual)imprint of Sully's foot on a small silver charm. I turn it over and see his name and his birthday. I weep all over again in that room where I held his tiny frame for the last time in this life. Brad holds me. I tell him how sometimes I want to pretend that none of it ever happened, that I was never pregnant, that we didn't lose our third child. Perhaps that was the bliss of my bustling, that for those moments I could make myself forget, make myself believe that I was my old self doing my old routine, that my heart had not been ripped from me and sent to heaven. Brad tells me that maybe it's OK to sometimes pretend, that maybe that's just what we have to do to get by sometimes.

3 comments:

ommie said...

I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You have such an amazing way with placing your journey into words-- of praise,emotions and life. I believe you are witnessing to so many people! I believe that at some point in everyones life they pretend in order to keep going! Keep strong in faith and in prayer as a family!
God Bless

Victoria said...

I agree with Brad that pretending - putting one foot in front of the other and just living life is the best we can do, lots of times, with a fresh loss. It is part of the path of continuing to live.

butterflygal said...

I too agree that pretending is ok...I too lost my son in 2001 from a dirtbike accident...he was 7...and the only way to get through the days then were to keep busy and never stop...I also would try to act as if I were dreaming and that my little boy would come home one day...and honestly til this day I still find myself trying to keep busy around his bday and the anniversary of his passing which is March 14...I still look at all his things and I cry...you will always have the memories of your little boy with you and no one can ever take that from you...and honor him in the way you feel is right.