Friday, April 4, 2008

plural

Two months ago today Sully was born. We have moved from the singular to the plural. From here on out months will never be singular again. It was the same with the first day, they became days. A week became weeks. Now a month has become months. I know "year" will eventually move into the plural as well just as "decade" will.

I dreamed of Sully again the night before last. He was a baby this time, probably close to what a two month old would be like. He happily laid on our bed while I talked and played with him the way mothers do with their infants. In my dream I knew he wouldn't be with me forever but I remember hoping that he could stay for a long time. When I woke, I had that moment where reality is still the dream. Slowly it came back to me that Sully had already gone, that he had lived only six days, that there was not a two month old baby in my house. But, I was OK. Thankfulness for the sweetness of the dream and the comfort in it lightened the sadness.

And now my dreams of Sully since he died have moved into the plural as well.

3 comments:

Mark Holmquist said...

I found your blog and video from the Pilot. I am moved by your story and pray that your son's life will change many people when they hear his story. Your pictures are beautiful. I wish your family the best. God Bless You!

-Mark

smidgenswife said...

oh how i long for more dreams of Carter.... they are too few and far between...

that is such a blessing... wOw...

Alyce said...

Good Morning...
I just read your story on pilotonline.com
I sat here with tears streaming down my face. I am sure you have been told that hundreds of times from others. Your story has touched me and I will pray for you, your family, and the playground project.
How are the kids doing? We can gain so much joy from them, they do help us to grieve and heal.
Blessings~Alyce