Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Andrew Poems

This week a business envelope showed up for me with my name scrawled in pencil and circled to draw attention to it. Inside I found a book. They are the poems of a woman, a mother who's five year old boy drowned. A friend told me of the book once and thoughts of finding it one day float in the back of my mind. Now, here it is in my hands. Knowing the content I have let the envelope be shuffled here and there around the house alighting on the ever changing stacks of this and that in my life.

But tonight I am sad. With the kids tucked in bed I pick up my stranger's gift who must understand more than most. I crack open the pages not knowing how much I can bear to read. The first poem opens the floodgate of tears touching the rawest place inside of me. I can physically feel how much it hurts. I want to close the book but I know I won't. I read every poem. To read them is agonizing, but it is the most honest place I can be.

When I finish, I shake with weeping. I hush my sobs not wanting my husband to hear. I do not want to be held by him. I just want to cry for Andrew who left too soon and for my own Sully and for the lost children of the heartbroken mothers who have written me. I catch a glimpse of the author's photograph in the back and stare at her face, the face of a mother who knows the deepest of pain. I read details of her life and find that we drive the same streets, probably pass each other on the same bridges in this city we both call home. I'm overwhelmed with the irrational desire to find her and throw myself in her arms.

4 comments:

domandkat said...

Heidi,

What's irrational about that? Beats me! Go find her... share each others burdens. Weep together. This is good.

Victoria said...

I hope you and Andrew's mother do meet, and throw yourselves into each other's arms and cry into each other's hair. And I honor her for writing and sharing her poems, her loss.

smalltownknitter said...

Oh, my heart just aches right now for you and the pain that you are experiencing. I think it's actually quite rational that you would want to meet Andrew's mom. I can only imagine your pain, but a mother is a mother is a mother - and a mother who has endured the same pain and the same dark places could comfort you in a way that no words can.

Mitra said...

God Bless You. I am a stranger to you in that we have never met. But I have read and continue to read your blog. Your words and stories have brought tears to my eyes. I am deeply sorry for your loss. The pictures Ive seen of your Sully will stay with me, I think for the rest of my life. I wish you peace, in every way, everyday.