Thursday, April 17, 2008

plotting the resurrection

Yesterday, as spring was working it's way into warm, I took the daffodil bulbs from Sully's service, an easter lily given us in his honor by our babysitter, and all of the other plantable flowers given us by so many and began to "calmly plot the resurrection". That's what kept repeating over and over in my head as I dug up the earth and tucked each bulb and plant away in hopes that they would return next year. I can hear my friend's voice reading to me E.B. White's words about his dying wife: "There was something comical yet touching in her bedraggled appearance…the small hunched-over figure, her studied absorption in the implausible notion that there would be another spring, oblivious to the ending of her own days, which she knew perfectly well was at hand, sitting there with her detailed chart under those dark skies in dying October, calmly plotting the resurrection." I wonder what that next Spring was like for White without his wife. I wonder how he felt as he watched her garden resurrection.

My mind goes back to the Andrew poems, to another mother who, like me, planted her easter lilies and tulips with a certain madness in her method. There is comfort in thinking that there will be life again, to think that these bulbs and plants that bloomed while my Sully lived and breathed here on this earth will bloom again. Somehow that makes me feel like I will have a part of Sully again on this earth. Just a bloom, is that really all I'm hoping for? No, it surely is more. I am hoping for my very own garden resurrection and the reminder of what will one day be.

1 comment:

smidgenswife said...

wow... beautifully written...

we, too, are getting ready to plant a tree in Carter's honor at what would be his two year old birthday... we're having a memorial service in his honor...

i like that... "plotting the resurrection"... the tree should bloom every spring... hopefully during his birthday every year... we will take family pictures by the tree, too, in symbolism...

http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/UDOHTFDJBCNJMSWNVYRQ/cartercameron

much love to you...