Thursday, February 7, 2008

Oxygen

A delivery came last night. Oxygen. I heard the man come in but I stayed in the back. Brad went to receive the order and instructions. I didn't want to see who was bringing such a thing into my house, oxygen for my baby boy, a sign of his brokeness. We have it to help ease Sully's breathing when things get difficult, just something for on down the line I tell myself.

I got up to prepare for Sully's 1 AM feeding last night. We had a lovely time together just chatting and singing. He seems a bit slower in taking his milk but slowly I found myself on our 6th syringe! I praised him and told him how proud I was of him with each swallow. And then, on a last swallow it was too much and he choked. I sat him up and tried to help him but I could see him struggling and turning blue. I called and ran for Brad. What had I done? Sully coughed and struggled but eventually seemed to be recovering. Brad got the oxygen going and we used it to help Sully breathe a little easier. Ok, I have to go slower, be more careful. I can't let my desire to have him eat cause him not to breathe.

I thought the night's drama was over but then at 4 Brad came to get me. "It happened again," he told me, and I jumped up to help. Sully was breathing again but Brad wanted me to come hold him. Was this it? How could it already be over? So, we just sat up for the rest of the night holding our beautiful little man and prayed and sang and cried and smiled at him. Eventually we all snuggled into our bed and with Sully finally seeming more comfortable and at ease both Brad and I drifted off into sleep. When I awoke this morning my eyes saw Sully's peaceful face and then I closely watched for signs of breathing. He is still with us this morning. I weep in the shower, but as I get out I tell myself that he is not gone yet. Sully is still here, the sun is shining again and the sky a brilliant blue. The rain has held off for another day.

3 comments:

PT said...

Hi precious family...after all this time FINALLY I am able to find you and communicate (thanks to Jason)...I have tried a few times in the past with emails but could not get them through...What a BE-U-TI-FUL boy (I know you spell it beautiful, but I wanted emphasis on each syllable)....Remember Sozo? Much more than physical health...well being for the entire person...Sully's little body may need some repair but trust me, the rest of him is something that we strive for everyday...Closer to God and far from this world that corrupts us...Congratulations on another wonderful addition to God's creation...Kim and I love you all greatly! PT

Victoria said...

I know I can't be anywhere near the only one getting up mornings to check on you and Sully - sounds like a hard night and one of great sweetness too - thankful he is still with you. You are doing all you can cherishing every second of sun until the rain comes. And I think it is precious and perfect you are singing to SUlly - music is so conecting - human to human to divine.

Unknown said...

Hi. I go to church with Carol George (I think she is a friend of someone that goes to church with you - Erin?) and she sent an email asking for us to pray for your family. Just wanted to let you know that I am SO very sorry for your pain.
Your little Sully has touched my heart and I am so sorry he has to leave you.
I am praying for you and your family and that God would be very close to you during this time.
Know that Sully's life is touching others lives. He is a precious one.
With love and prayers,
Candace Smartt, Atlanta, GA