Friday, February 8, 2008

All is calm

Last night proved to be more peaceful than the previous one. After our hospice nurse and pediatrician coached us along in helping Sully to drink from a bottle we felt much better. He still is not taking enough to keep him hydrated and so we have talked about the possibility of a feeding tube to give him more nourishment. But, when he started to get the hang of the sucking motion and swallowing we all rejoiced and clapped. Perhaps he is on a learning curve. Today we'll hope for the best.

Early this morning, as I tried feeding him again, I heard that sweet, first morning bird song. I opened our curtains to let in the blue winter light and just sat up in bed holding my little Sully close to my heart. I must have stayed that way for an hour as the light grew brighter and morning came for the rest of the boisterous, happy children in our house. But I could have held Sully there in my arms forever. The calm, the light, the soft sounds of morning, the warm bundle held so close to me - these things I want to etch in my memory forever.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

glad you are having more peaceful moentts to cherish with Sully

Anonymous said...

What a priviledge it is for me to read your thoughts and to get to experience Sully through your eyes. I am praying for grace and peace. Love you.

ommie said...

i know i recall those still moments with mine...just wishing the time would pause while the new day, starting fresh could just be saved. i was playing the sweet video of you singing happy birthday to Sully and we have now listened to it several times...my 22month old wants to see the "baby & sing appy beurthdey". Happy birthday Sully- you are so amazing!you have such a loving family!

C.H. said...

I have come to know you from Jordon. She loves your family so much and asks for prayer on a weekly basis. You and your husband are true inspirations for so many. I pray every night that the lord brings you peace. I can only imagine what you feel. Keep strong in your faith and God will be right there. Sully is beautiful and his brother and sister love him very much. My family will certainly make a donation in Sully's name to the playground at church. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Give Sully a kiss from Mrs. H and may God bless you.

nancy barbee said...

Heidi and Brad
Thank you for sharing Sully with us. We are thankful for the time you have had and pray that this time will forever be a comfort to you both. I often do not understand the way God works but I am learning the HE is perfect in all he does. Sometimes I have seen the "why" I had to experience something and I rejoice and thank Him. Other things I am still waiting to see and may not know until I go home.
Norm and I pray that you will be held in the everlasting arms and be enveloped with peace. In Christ, nancy and norm