Monday, February 11, 2008

Ephemeral boy

Journal excerpt, 2-11-08

This morning the bush and brush are full of birds, more than I've ever seen in a morning. I stand at my back door and watch each bit of movement. The sun casts a bright swath across the top of the trees off in the distance. My eye is drawn there by a solo bird soaring in the trajectory of the light.

I turn a way and out of our front window I catch a glimpse of my daughter's tree, a strong branch made crisp like a black and white picture by the cold February light. In my mind's eye I follow the branch down the trunk and think of the first sprouting bulb Ella and I noticed there yesterday morning, the bulbs we planted on another unusual spring like day in December.

It is cold now. Sully brought with him the spring and beautiful days to match his beautiful face...oh his beauty - I'm so glad I could proudly let so many eyes see his earthly glory yesterday. And that the five of us walked together to taste the body and the blood of Christ - that I held all of my children together within the community of faith into which they each have been baptized as covenant children.
And has that covenant ever meant so much to me?! My hope rests here in God's great love and care for my Sully. I know he is in greater hands.

But I ache - I miss him - his soft, sweet body, his kissable lips and face. Oh how I ache. I held him all day yesterday, longing to comfort his failing body and ease his transition out of this world. I begged for God's mercy when he struggled. Please God, make him not hurt, please, have mercy and ease his pain and suffering. He calmed into my chest, finally sleeping peacefully, the morphine relaxing him. As he took his last few breaths over a span of time, my mother's body let down her milk, longing to do all it could to save and comfort and nourish even as death became certain.

The children had gathered on our bed with us under the guise of watching a movie, Brad and Ella carefully selecting Lady and the Tramp. While Sully grew quiet on my chest we all were together, our family, our three children doing something so everyday and ordinary - a strikingly beautiful and calm picture.

A mother sang her baby boy a lullaby and I heard the words, "Let love be your keeper." I sang them again to my own baby boy. Ella and Zane each kissed Sully's head goodnight, and off they went to the warm safety of their own beds.

Brad returned to find me unmoved - I couldn't move from that sweet place of Sully so peaceful and calm on my breast, my arms holding him as if I could keep him forever. And together we wept - Brad and I wept and held our beautiful one. Every part of me wept for hours into that night...

I held him for hours after he was gone. I bathed his precious body. I dressed him in his most comfortable clothes and fuzzy socks and his signature blue hat. And I wrapped him to keep him warm although his body could not stay warm. So I held him even closer to me and kissed his face and head and lips and hands over and over again. But how can I ever fully explain the ache, the sheer pain of my breaking heart as I handed my boy to my husband, as I looked on him for the last time and kissed his face and told him I would see him again in a better place, and then watched him be carried away from me for the forever of this life. I could hear a broken heart sobbing uncontrollably - I felt my face bury itself in the bed - I felt myself hardly able to breath and not even caring - I would stay here forever, forever I would weep and wail for my dead son.

But I will not say my lost son - because my Sully is not lost. My Sully has been made whole. My Sully has been found by the arms of my Savior. I know he is well. I know he has been made perfect. I know that my Redeemer lives and that in his arms is my sweet, beautiful Sully.

9 comments:

Victoria said...

Thank you for sharing the story of Sully's last moments - so good you could take Sully to church and have his last moents so tenderly and be with him after his death - grief hurts and loss is hard - and handling it with such love and grace eases it and sets and example fo rall of us. Peace be with you.

lltanderson said...

i am so incredibly sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy, sully. your loss and pain are palpable. please know that there folks out here in cyberspace thinking of you and your family and wishing you love and peace...

Unknown said...

You write so beautifully. Here I sit with tears literally streaming down my face. I ache for you. My husband Tom knows your husband and sent me the e-mail about Sully's passing. I read your entire journal and wondered if you had a Master's degree in English, like me. ;-) Again, you are a beautiful writer.

There is nothing I can say - nothing - to help your pain and empty heart. I just wish you peace. Your Sully was a beautiful, beautiful boy. And yes, like you said, those LIPS! :D

Jen said...

No, I have not met you. But I feel as though I know you. I was given the link to your blog by a fellow friend that attends your church and have read it in its entirety. We would be good friends if we met, I know it- just by the way you write and the way you think...it feels so similar. And I am so, so, touched by the way you are writing- I feel so connected to you, your family, and sweet Sully. I sit here and weep with you and pray that God would pour His grace on you to walk through this time in the Wings of the Almighty. I do not pretend to know how you feel, nor pretend to know the "right" things to say. Only to let you know that Sully's life has impacted even me, a complete stranger...and caused me to praise our Holy God in His sovereignty. The battle has been won already- and we have but to wait until we will be forever with our Lord...forever with no more tears. Praying for you...

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing servant to God. God bless you, God bless your family, God bless Sully and may he rest in eternal peace. I'm amazed at your beauty with words, your gift of descriptions, and I wanted to send to you my deepest heartfelt sympathies. Peace in Jesus, may we all meet again.

Red said...

Thank you for sharing. We're thinking of and praying for your family as you grieve and rejoice for your son. We miss you and wish we could have met Sully, I'm sure he was amazing even in his short time here...

C.H. said...

I feel your pain and sorrow. I am so sorry for the loss of Sully. I also know he is happy with Jesus and well. Keep your faith in God and good things will happen. I wish your family peace and happiness.

C.H. said...

I am so sorry for your loss of precious Sully. I also know he is with the lord and is healed, but the hurt is still in my heart as well as yours I'm sure. I will pray for healing for your family and much needed peace.

Unknown said...

I don't know you, but my heart is broken and my tears flow for you. Please accept my prayers for God's' comfort for your family. This blog is a beautiful testiment of your love for your children, your husband, and God Himself, and it is a gift to me to remind me of cherishing every moment I have with the gifts God has so graciously bestowed on me. The fruit of your faith is ripe and overflowing. God bless you.