Sunday, October 12, 2008

Stupid Hope

It has been such a relief to not feel the need to hide a pregnancy, to stop trying to pretend in my head that it wasn't happening, to let myself emotionally embrace this fourth child of ours. People have been so kind in their joy and excitement for us. Sometimes it is quite draining to try and explain why we withheld our news from practically everyone but then, I think most people probably understand. Our news is good and joyous but of course quite different from that first time I found out we were expecting. I do not feel so naive and light hearted. I feel quite guarded in my happiness realizing that life is fragile, that I am still not guaranteed anything, even a healthy baby in my arms.

But friends have been so dear and kind to us. One girlfriend insisted on a baby boy buying spree at Babies R' Us. When I walked through those doors I couldn't help but think of the last time I was there, to buy but a few very tiny things for my Sully. Those sweet things now find themselves on Ella's dolls, and a few I could not give up are tucked away in Sully's box. I think about some of Sully's things and wonder which ones I will pass on to this boy. It seems only right that Sully should be able to pass on something as all big brothers do, that this little brother of his would know the story behind the blanket, the hand-knit booties that Sully's feet were just too small for. But I think Sully's hats will always remain his. I can't pass those on. His image is so closely connected to those blue hats made with such tenderness for him. And I think those tiny clothes will stay with Ella's collection. If this baby is as healthy as we hope, he will never fit in those tiny things. What a strange thought.

Even stranger still to me is the fact that only five months before this little life came into being, Sully lived where he now does. Sometimes I think we are absolutely crazy to do this again. I think about how tired my body is of being pregnant. Brad and I have termed it "stupid hope" that caused us to even attempt to walk down this road again. But somehow, it seems right. Despite the fatigue, I am grateful that I am able to carry a child again.

5 comments:

Traci Reynolds said...

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers and I totally understand...I am in the midst of being a Gestational Carrier for a family and they have had so much heartache and they want to be excited but at the same time are being very cautious...I pray for a safe and healthy 9 mo. and a wonderful delivery...take care...

Unknown said...

I am very excited for you all. Thank you for all of your sharing with us through the blog. I'll be praying for still more hope and a fresh joy in this little one. Ally Sabin

Unknown said...

Please enjoy this pregnancy..I know it is hard. I was in your situation many years ago, a pregnancy after the deaths of not 1 but 2 infant boys born 15 months apart. I now look at our son's life as a life that was meant to be and might not have happened if our other 2 sons had lived. Maybe he is destined for great things and God had his own plan in mind. Like you we never told people about being pregnant until I was into the 4th-5th month...we just did not want to have to explain our reason for another pregnancy. Until you are in that situation you do not know what you would (or can) do...unlike those who have said "I could never do that if this happened to me!"

clariposa said...

We are so happy for you. And we pray for strength and a continued hope for your body and your family.
~C

Randy, Becky, and Halley said...

Hi Brad and Heidi and fam,
I finally found y'all on the web and am excited there's a way to keep up with your family. We first heard of Sully's condition over Christmas last year and have thought about you many, many, many times since then. We're glad to hear there's a new one on the way and will keep you in our prayers. Blessings to you, Becky (& Randy) Everette