Monday, August 18, 2008

Why believe?

A friend of mine who lost her son a year ago just miscarried her baby of 16 weeks. The more I think about it, the angrier I get. It seems so unfair to me, and it makes me wonder where God is in it all.

Another friend asked me the other day if I ever felt like I deserved to have things go right after openly offering up our journey with Sully and building his playground. The truth is, no. In fact, I feel quite the opposite. I feel completely unsafe. I feel like there are no guarantees anymore. I guess there never really were, but I once found security in falsely believing I had some kind of protection from calamity.

Everything feels so fragile, from the paycheck that pays our mortgage and bills to the hopes that the children we do have left will live long healthy lives. Sometimes this makes me so angry and bitter. It makes me question why in the world I am even hanging on to any kind of faith. I mean, why? If believing in God and Christ doesn't offer me any protection then what good is it? What happened to the "health, wealth and prosperity" gospel of my youth? It doesn't seem to hold up at all. And sometimes I think we believe that being a good person will give you some kind of immunity. But the scales are out of balance. Terrible things happen to "good" and "bad" people alike. So, why be good?

I look around but I can't find anywhere else to go. I'm just left with this broken faith that doesn't make very much sense. I can't make sense out of my friend losing another baby or out my overwhelming fear of a capricious god. Why do I now live waiting for terrible things to happen, waiting for what is good in my life to also be taken away from me?

All I keep hearing in my head is a song and I can picture my friend singing it:
"I'll remember the deeds of the Lord,
I'll remember all your works,
With your mighty arm you have redeemed,
You are Holy, Holy, Holy"

So I try to remember. I try to remember that even in the hardest days of carrying Sully there were people around us to love us and care for us. I remember my friends bringing us groceries when I thought I would never be able to walk into a store or do anything normal again. I remember how so many people responded with such generosity towards our plea for a playground and how in just four short months after its first mention, it was complete! I remember just a few weeks ago the gift of the feast brought to our door. I am remembering, and I am weeping. Is this who God is in truth? How beautiful he is and yet how hard it still is for me to reconcile the truth of him with who I want him to be. I want him to tell me I will never hurt again. I want him to tell me I will never suffer a loss like this again. I wanted him to make my third child perfect and whole and give him to me for this lifetime. How do I reconcile that he is not who I want him to be but that he is still good?

There is so much shifting and sifting and changing in my heart and mind...

5 comments:

amy griffith said...

amy sedgwick griffith here:

heidi, i CAN'T imagine your journey. but, He can. you KNOW in that DEEP place in your heart that He can because He sent His son with the very purpose of death......but also of resurrection and life......in that deep place that forces you to hang on to your seemingly empty faith right now, you KNOW He understands, of all beings, He understands.....
i'm SO sorry for your loss, i will pray for you today.

clariposa said...

The sad thing to me, is that I've always had this fear. A fear of loosing everything. A fear of "getting what I deserve" because I know that what I deserve is death. And if death will not be bestowed upon me, then surely all the things I love will die and I will be left in a fit of despair with nothing. Noone.

But recently I was told, reminded, that this is a demon for me. One that haunts me. One that likes to tell me that I am not worthy of forgiveness. And I'm not. But Christ is.

I'm certainly not saying that you did something to deserve the loss of Sully, in fact, I'm saying there's no way you could have. Because when God looks at you he sees his son. So, there is no deserving about it. We don't deserve anything we have, so it's all a blessing. I don't know how to logically lump suffering with blessings, but I guess it's the ability to love that's the blessing. If we didn't have that, we wouldn't miss the things we've lost. We couldn't cry over people we treasure.

I'm not sure I've really responded directly to your post, but there it is. My thoughts. Take them or leave them.

We love you guys and pray for you to feel stable again one day. And I personally pray that any demons that may be hounding you in your vulnerable state my be banished from you side. They know Christ as the Son of God, and we have been given authority to tell them to leave. So, do it, if you think they are lingering where they are not welcome, tell them to leave.

domandkat said...

Oh sweet Heidi,

I was just emailing our friend who wrote that song yesterday. I was telling her about when my apartment was broken into and my laptop was stolen...the one that had all my journaling on it about when my dad died. ALL of it. No doubt it had some of the same struggles you are wrestling with at the moment...

All I know is this: God does the reconciling, not us. It takes time, but He will do it. And in the future He may well bless you with your own sort of stolen laptop of healing. He is with you through this time holding you next to His heart. He loves you and knows your pain and what Sully's death did to you. Pound on His chest. He can and will take it. Keep struggling and fighting, but let Him give you the peace that reconciling brings. He will bring you rest. That's His job.

Here's a big hug and a kiss for each cheek.

Love,

Kathryn

BetnyNonnie said...

I know what you mean. Watching Jen, our friend of whom you spoke, suffer through all of these hard things. Hearing through Jen about all the things that you and your family have endured with losing Sully. Watching my sister struggle with her marriage breaking up after 16 years and 4 kids. It is a whole lot of bad things happening to good people. It does make you feel unsafe. We are not exempt from these bad things. Nobody is safe. God's ways are not our ways. God loves us and wants good things for us. But for some reason, these horrible things still happen. I am crying now. I am so sorry that you, your family and Jen and her family must have this huge whole from losing your sweet sons. I am so sorry. I hate it. But I will tell you, I am blessed to know Jen and I am blessed to read both of your blogs. I always learn something new. Of course I would rather have met Sully on the playground at a birthday party than the way we did meet, but you know what I mean. I want you to know that I am growing and learning from the authenticity that flows though you and Jen and I pray for you often. Thank you.

Red said...

Oh Heidi, I'm not sure what to say here... I don't know that there are words of comfort or clarity that can be shared, but I know that we all struggle with these same thoughts - just not on the same levels...no matter what type of loss we've experienced. Surely in the case of death and a child taken far too soon you are justified in your anger and frustration.

Keep seeing her sing that song and let it be a mantra that calms your heart and reminds you of the truth that you can't always understand or even accept.

You all remain in our thoughts and prayers!