Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The weeping mother

I cried more today than I expected. Everything just hit me in that way, and maybe because it is the one year anniversary of his birth I allowed myself the liberty to feel it all and weep, no keeping it together or carrying on with normal life, just stop and cry. I kept thinking of an image another mother who lost her son gave to me, the image of how we build a room onto our emotional house and in that room is the weeping mother. Over time, we go in that room less often but she will always be a part of who we are. Today it felt like I opened the door for her and she walked all through my house.

Tonight, I found myself sorting laundry in a desperate attempt to ground myself in something very mundane and ordinary, something necessary and functional, something non-emotional. I am very tired and emotionally drained. I thought I would want to relive each day of Sully's six days but I told Brad tonight that I don't know if I have it in me to take myself there each day. We relived so much today, so many memories. It has been good but very hard. We are grateful to the dear friends in our lives who have shown us particular tenderness today with cards and calls and beautiful tulips. You have been Love surrounding us once again...

4 comments:

Sharleen said...

Praying for you and your family!
I'm a weeping mother too.

The Pittsburgh Hites said...

Heidi,
You have been on my mind all day today. I have prayed repeatedly for you, Brad, Ella, Zane AND Sully. For the four of you to find peace today, to be able to look back at those days you spend with Sully with more joy than sadness.
I first came across your story(and Sully's)last year when I saw the picture of Ella and Zane in the chair holding him. I fell in love with that picture, the tenderness they both had and the LOVE that exudes from them is breath-taking. I read Jessica's account of coming in to photograph all of you, and it broke my heart. When I found your blog, and read what you wrote about your days with Sully, my heart melted a little more. I was new to NILMDTS and your story helped me go to my first call without any fear. I gave it all to God, and just hoped, and still do, to capture the same beauty for the families as i witnessed in yours. So thank you, thank you for sharing Sully with us. I look forward to reading more, and hope you never stop sharing. Happy beautiful birthday Sully!
-Ginger

Helga said...

Happy Birthday Baby Sully. I know I am a day late but I wanted to let you all know that I have been thinking about you. I have followed your story for a long time and I have never left a comment before. I´m sorry about all that your family has been through and I want you to know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Helga

Katie said...

I found your blog a few months ago and have been changed by your words and your Sully. Praying for you this week and always.

Katie in Arkansas