Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lost

I've lost the camera I used last night to capture Zane blowing out his three candles for his third birthday. I've lost the image of him bursting through the streamers hung over his door and his excited smile over the balloons covering his floor. Brad insists that it will show up but I feel like I'm losing my mind. I feel like I've lost something forever. I know the camera can be replaced but none of those moments will.

I've searched our house high and low. I've gone through our trash twice now. I've gone through pine straw by hand, walked the yard at least five times. I've looked under couches and cushions, behind and below furniture, everywhere I could have put it and everywhere I know I absolutely wouldn't have put it. I can find it nowhere.

That's what I was doing this morning as I was supposed to getting ready for church. When we should have been leaving I just cried on my bed. I told Brad that rationally I should let it go and accept it for lost. But I was paralyzed. I couldn't get ready. I couldn't do anything. The world stops for me when something is lost.

I remember as a child my father's incredible rages he would enter when something of his was lost. Everyone had to stop what they were doing and at least pretend to look as he yelled and demanded of us to find what had been done with his lost item. I know I have a trigger for lost things because of this. In fact, I remember Brad asking me the first time after we were married where something was and totally flying into a defense of how I wasn't responsible for whatever he had lost. He was totally taken back and caught off guard by my "baggage".

I hate it when something is lost. In fact, when things are lost I feel unsafe. That makes total sense given the conditioning of my childhood. But on my hands and knees as I scoured the pine straw I realized that's part of what is going on in my heart right now. I have been questioning the "safety" of God, whether he really protects us, what his promises really are. He obviously didn't protect me and my family from the pain of losing a child. So, what does he protect us from? Is it just hell-insurance? What about right now? I see that I feel very unsafe right now because I will forever have to live with the fact that my third child is lost to me. Something great has been lost and I do not feel safe.

4 comments:

domandkat said...

I know what you meant, BUT

You know where your third child is and you are separated from him, he's not lost - not to you or to anyone else. We all know exactly where he is. Now your camera on the other hand...

J. Harwell said...

I am grateful for your honesty. I haven't forgotten you, and we are still praying for you, Brad, Ella & Zane. I think of y'all every day.

Love you. Bless you. Keep you.
Jana

smidgenswife said...

oh heidi!!!!! i'm so sorry! it HAS to turn up! it just HAS to!

the WEIRD thing is... #1 i am SO like that too when something is lost... it drives me CRAZY...#2 after carter died... like a week or two after i lost my camera too... didn't lose any special pictures though... #3 i SO understand your thoughts and feelings... i can't wait to explore them all with you... i get it... i get it.. i get it... and i won't offer any opinions or answers... just ears and understanding...

i will SO pray for those pictures!!!!

Jessica said...

Dear Heidi, I have been reading your blog and praying for you on and off. Your pain just strikes me so much: what you say resonates so much with me. I wanted to say that all you can look at right now it what you see that God has not protected you from (Sully's death) but maybe it could help to consider all the things He HAS protected you from, all the mercies he has shown that you are not counting now precisely because they have not happened... Not to be morbid, but there are people who loose their spouse AND their child, or ALL of their children, or MANY of their children, and so on (and many are indeed children of the Almighty). I think God DOES protect you from way more than you think. I also want to remind you that God didn't promise He's spare us suffering (He didn't spare it to Himself) but that He'd ALWAYS be with us through the suffering and somehow use it to our own good. I know, all mere talk since I am not walking in your shoes. But said with GREAT love for you, dear sister, maybe to help you see beyond what is just in front of your eyes right now (pain and loss). I am not intending to pontificate here, I just wish to remind you, if it could be of any help, of the faithfulness of the One who made the promises...
Praying for you,
Jessica in Italy