Monday, December 17, 2007

Knowing Sully

Who is Sully? I find myself trying to sort out his personality in these days when I can feel each kick and move. What does each one tell me about my youngest son? I try to decipher who he is even now. I was talking with a friend the other day about how you can see distinct characteristics of each child's personality even in utero although you don't realize it until you watch them later and look back on it. Not knowing how much of a "later" I'll have with Sully makes me want to grasp on to something that is distinctively him right now.

From our ultrasound we know flaws but also sweet pieces of information. He is, of course, much smaller than he should be, 2 pounds 10 ounces as of last week, only the 4th percentile for weight. But, he likes to move about alot and even when he was calmer wouldn't cooperate for a 4D picture for us. He would give us a glimpse of his face but then turn it before the tech could get the shot. Perhaps he's a bit camera shy? Or was he mischievously teasing us? He was positioned diagonally across my belly with his head under my left ribs and his heels aimed right at my bladder. That, I have certainly been feeling. This past week he has made sure I was aware of every single kick of his sweet legs, aware of how very full of life he is right now. And his feet, we have a picture of his feet, so small but lovely in their formation. They don't seem to be "rocker bottom" feet as many of these babies can have.

But it is his face that I love the most. No, we have no pictures to share as I said earlier but Brad and I glimpsed his face in 4D, a truly precious and beautiful face. He has perfect lips, lips just like my Ella and Zane, lips that I will want to kiss. And his nose is a lovely little button nose also like my other two dear ones. He really is their brother, bearing a resemblance to them in so many ways. I hope I will always see parts of him in each of my other children.

Ella drew this picture of Sully a few weeks ago. It is just a portion of the entire drawing which spans 4 pieces of paper all taped together in a 4 year old fashion. She wanted to do a "portrait" of him in my belly and has hung it in Zane's room which should be shared with Sully (according to her). I love that all of the faces circling my "belly" are smiling - I'm assuming she believes Sully to be a happy baby. I also love that the "belly" looks more like the shape of a heart and is surrounded by hearts - a loved baby. I could interpret more but perhaps I will let Ella's drawing of Sully speak for itself...

1 comment:

Victoria said...

Indeed a loved baby - and a loved Ella to be able to capture the love so beautifully. I believe you always will be able to see aspects of Sully in your other children. I had never thought about the value of prenatal photos to show family resemblance. That is very sweet. He is their brother, your son, whatever the circumstances and nothing can take that away. I know I'm repeating myself - but love really is stronger than loss, no matter how much loss hurts.