Friday, November 2, 2007

Heart shaped medallion

Last night, at a small dinner with close friends, I was given a beautiful gift for my 30th birthday. All day today I keep thinking of a song by Dave Wilcox that describes this gift perfectly.

"If I had a spell of magic
I would make this enchantment for you
A burgundy heart shaped medallion
with a window that you could look through
So that when all the mirrors are angry
at your faults and all you must do
You could peek through that heart shaped medallion
and see you from my point of view."

It wasn't a literal heart shaped medallion I was given but a collection of letters from dear friends and family members telling me of their love for me. I was so overwhelmed by the time and energy it took to create such a gift, by all of the letters and photos, by all of the love sent my way for this milestone birthday.

Last night, as I read through many of the pages, it almost felt like an out of body experience to see me from your eyes. How can you all sum me up so well when I always feel so confused about who I am? Perhaps it was my first glimpse of who God is making me, of this next decade and a coming of age as I walk through both joys and sorrows. I keep looking through it today in awe that that many of you like me - seriously - I can be so difficult. I so treasure each letter and in each one see how very good God has been, and continues to be to me. Thank you for such an amazing gift. Thank you for loving me so well and for being such beautiful friends.

No comments: