Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's been a long time

I've pushed writing aside for quite some time. I hear the voice longing to express itself in my head but then shut it out. There are so many reasons for this and I've expressed some of them before. But the turmoil in my head has been so great these past few months. I have wrestled with my faith and really feel myself searching for a redefinition of what it is I truly believe. This is unsettling to many people in my life and so on top of my own struggle I think I've wanted to avoid dealing with some of those unhelpful opinions and voices. I don't know if things will ever fully shake out. I know I am forever changed and can never see the world the way I once did. If anything, my ignorance is gone and with it a certain amount of bliss. I told Brad the other day that it's not that I don't believe anymore. In fact, I long more for Truth than ever before. I think I realize now how skewed we all perceive it. If anything, I think I am glimpsing more of Truth than before, and it is a bit more daunting, more frightening than I ever thought. So, Truth hasn't changed but I have.

I think Brad and I realize that we may never have answers to some of our toughest questions. But one day, we hope that we will be able to come to a little more peace about it all, a bit more acceptance than we've felt over these past few months. Maybe we will finally settle into and figure out how to live with the not knowing or understanding why.

So where does that leave us with Christmas before us. I thought I'd be able to handle it all, at least put on the good face for my kids. But the weekend we pulled out all the decorations I just wasn't feeling any Christmas cheer. As I went to put the first wreath up over the mantle, I fell apart. I thought of the ten month old that should be crawling around my feet, that should be getting into things and mesmerized by all of these new sights. It all felt so empty and not the way it should have been.

We took the kids to the Polar Express at the Botanical Gardens to see the lights. I watched families with their bundled up babies and thought about the little one I should have had bundled up on my lap. As we rode through, we enjoyed the lights but I just felt dull inside. It's like the anger has melted into dullness. Everything I do seems to have a film over it making every experience not quite as cheery as I once thought it was.

Until today...

Edmarc offered to have carolers and Santa Claus come with presents to visit us in this first year after losing Sully. At first I hesitated. How would the kids react? How would I react? Finally, Brad and I decided that it might be fun and an opportunity not to be missed. After all, how many kids get a day visit from Santa to their house? We heard the singing coming up our driveway this afternoon and raced to the front door. And, there, following them was Santa Claus, and, no kidding, he was the real Santa Claus! Brad said he looked like they took him right out of Miracle on 34th Street. The kids were mesmerized watching him walk up to our house and I teared up as the carolers sang. It was such a good moment, a moment of joy and excitement and Christmas cheer for all of us, and I felt the hope that maybe the dullness wouldn't last forever.




7 comments:

domandkat said...

It's so good to hear from you again. Nice to know how others struggle too. Weird how some of it seems similar even though the situations are so different - the struggle with God that is.

Inkling said...

I've missed your writing, but get why you wanted to be silent for awhile.

I admit to wrestling through why God healed some blogger's baby that everyone seems so excited about when He didn't save so many others. I'm still angry enough that I can't even go to that blog. I just don't get it, and the whole "My thoughts are not your thoughts..." thing makes me want to just beg Him to share His thoughts and explain the reasons to me now, on this side of eternity. And then, why did God seemingly restore our boiler that heats our home and water "miraculously" 20 minutes after my mom prayed about it over the phone with me, but my dearest friend and adopted mom/grandma in this new country doesn't seem to be getting better from a major liver disease despite earnest supplications? I just don't get it, and I feel like I'm supposed to bottle this up inside since it's "ugly". If I actually blogged what I was thinking, my family and friends who read my private blog would probably disown me. So I share this with God - the very One I don't begin to "get".

I just want Truth too....and Heaven. Life is so complicated on Earth.

You don't have to post this comment obviously, but I just wanted to reach out and say that there are others of us wrestling with questions that seem to have incomprehensible answers. You aren't alone in your heart's cry.

smidgenswife said...

I can't wait until we talk...

I think I understand your first paragraph more than anything... I get it... I totally totally get it... and I agree... I'm with you...

<3

BetnyNonnie said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. I love that picture of your beautiful daughter hugging Santa. I have no advice but I will pray for you. Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you and your family have been!

amber said...

thank you...

Red said...

Aw Heidi, I sit here with tears in my eyes! I am so encouraged through you and am so grateful for these strangers that came to love on you and your family. The Santa did look like he was right out of Miracle on 34th Street! =)

Also, I think that we should all be on a journey to Truth and understanding what that means. As we grow and change, mature and struggle, I believe the Lord uses those times to reveal things to us that we may not have been able to see before we got here...

You all remain in our prayers - Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

Please keep writing...you are putting into words what I would have liked to have said when I went through a very similar situation with not 1 but 3 babies. It has been many many years and I still question why.... There are no easy answers.